Sunday, December 21, 2008

Sukhothai, Korat and Getting to Cambodia

I've managed to finally get an update up (I know I'm a little behind) but there's also 2 more updates of pictures from earlier below this one too.

After leaving Mae Sot and Um Phang I had to make my way across Thailand to enter Cambodia. So I decided to break this trip up into smaller sections and spend a day in a couple of cities along the way. The fist city I stopped in was Sukhothai, the first capital of Thailand and home to some nice ruins.

Sukhothai is divided into old and new Sukhothai with old Sukhothai containing the ruins of the ancient city. For the day that I had in Sukhothai I spent the entire time cycling around the ruins and exploring the old city. Some of the ruins were quite impressive although this was only the ruins within the old city walls, all of the ruins in the surrounding area were very much ruined and didn't provide much to see except the more scenic location. Other than the ruins at old Sukhothai though there wasn't much to see or do here so I moved on.

After Sukhothai I took the bus to Korat and didn't expect to spend much time here really enjoy the time that I did spend here as it isn't a very touristy town. It was just necessary to go to to catch another bus to the border of Cambodia. However, when I arrived here I discovered that they were hosting their 4th annual grilled foods festival (something like the Thai equivalent of the Calgary Stampede). The grilled foods festival was actually very enjoyable as it had tons of delicious grilled food and even a free show that was like the grandstand show. Not to mention it was quite funny seeing all of the Thai people dressed up as cowboys.

After Korat I took a bus to Aranya Prathet (a town on the Cambodian border) and once across the border I made my way to Battambang in a shared taxi. The taxi ride itself was quite interesting as there were 3 tourists that had rented the backseat and 4 locals (including the driver) all squished up front. More updates from Cambodia to follow soon.








Ruins at old Sukhothai.

No comments: