Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Krabi and Koh Lanta

After leaving Bangkok to head south I made a short stop in the border town of Ranong as I needed to renew my Thailand visa (damn government changing the rules to only allow 15 day visa exemptions if coming into Thailand overland). So after stopping in Ranong for 1 day and spending a few hours taking a boat over to Myanmar to get a stamp in my passport and then back to Thailand for a new 15 day visa extension I continued on my way to Krabi.

At first I just passed through Krabi on my way to Koh Lanta planning to spend some more time there on my way back so I didn't see too much of the town at the start. Koh Lanta is a nice sleepy island (at least for now) just south of the famous island Koh Phi Phi and Phuket; however, the island is really starting to develop fast so soon it may just be covered in more expensive resorts.

My time on Koh Lanta was mainly spent renting a motorbike and cruising around the island checking out all of the different beaches. There were lots of beaches here and all of them were amazing, probably some of the best beaches that I've seen so far. The island was very relaxing with not too much of a night life and not much to do all day other than check out the beaches. There were a couple of caves that I spent a short amount of time checking out and they were pretty extensive and impressive but you can only spend so much time wandering around caves (or at least I can).

After returning back to Krabi from Koh Lanta I had planned on spending a day sea kayaking as there are a few good day trips available from Krabi and I also planned to spend a day checking out Railay beach as it's supposed to be one of the most beautiful beaches in Thailand. Unfortunately on the first morning that I awoke in Krabi I found that I had developed a fever and wasn't feeling very well. As a result I passed the next 2 days in bed trying to get healthy as I was scheduled to go diving for 3 days right after Krabi. It turns out getting sick wasn't that bad as the sea kayaking was really expensive so I probably wouldn't have been able to do it anyways so all I missed out on was seeing beautiful Railay beach.

From Krabi I headed up to Khao Lak, still feeling a little sick, from where I was catching my 3 day live aboard dive ship for the Similan Islands. So the next update will contain my adventures diving and the awesome things that I saw under the sea.

No comments: