Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Nha Trang

The journey to Nha Trang started at 7:30 in the morning and since it was less than 500km separating the two cities I thought the bus should get there around 1pm. Needless to say I was wrong. The trip took almost 10 hours as I didn't arrive until 5pm so in hind sight I should have taken the overnight bus or train to save myself a day in vietnam. Once in Nha Trang though I met up with a couple of Aussie's and the first thing that we did was book a diving trip for the following morning.
I personnally didn't think that the diving was the best here in Nha Trang, which is supposed to be the spot in Vietnam, but it was beautiful out on the boat and around the island. Underwater there was nothing very exciting: a some coral, very few fish (I thought), and about the only interesting thing that we saw was some eels. The Aussie's I was with had dove in Thailand and said that it was much much better there so I'm hoping for that.
That evening the Aussie's, an American couple that we met while diving and myself went to checkout the nightlife. One of the dive masters told us which bars to go to but when we got there they were all pretty quiet and they didn't pick up for the rest of the night, and we all thought that Nha Trang was supposed to have great nightlife, o well I guess it is the quiet season in terms of tourists.
Next day we rented motorbikes to drive around the city and visit some Cham towers. The Cham people are an ethnic group in Southeast Asia that built several religious sites from the 3rd-14th centuries. Cham people still exist but their numbers are low and the ones in Vietnam live mostly in the Mekong Delta region. The Cham towers that we visited were very well preserved but the guide that we got for them gave contradicting information to what the American couple had heard so we weren't sure what to believe. While at the towers our guide told us about some waterfalls only 10 km away so we decided to head over to them. Quite a while later and asking several locals we found the Baho waterfalls, they were 25km down the highway and then 3km along a dirt road. we spent most of the afternoon swimming in the water and climbing up to all three sets of waterfalls.
My final day spent in Nha Trang was mostly spent relaxing on the beach and in the backpackers district just waiting for my overnight bus to Hoi An to depart.




View from my hotel room of Nha Trang, the ocean and distant mountains










Cham Towers
















Pete sitting in Baho waterfalls
















Beach in Nha Trang

No comments: